The Robert Smalls Historical Foundation seeks to:
- Acquire funds to purchase, restore, preserve, and maintain the Robert Smalls home located
at 511 Prince Street in Beaufort, South Carolina. This would serve as a museum to house
his artifacts and remain open to the public. In addition, the acquisition of other
properties formerly owned by Robert Smalls — located near the Robert Smalls home
— would also be a high priority if the Robert Smalls home is unattainable.
- Work closely with the Historic Beaufort Foundation to preserve the cottage located at
508 Duke Street in the National Historic Landmark District of Beaufort, South Carolina (the
last family holding), as a historic residence in perpetuity.
- Acquire and collect original Smalls artifacts for public display in the
Robert Smalls Museum.
- Promote the book Yearning to Breathe Free, written by
University of South Carolina Professor Andrew Billingsley
as the most accurate and reveling account of Robert Smalls and the life of his family
- Seek the production of a major motion picture depicting the life and times of this
great American hero.
- Solicit individuals, businesses, and corporations to contribute funds and resources to
benefit our goals.
- Establish and promote educational programs to benefit the local communities of South Carolina.